Saturday, February 11, 2012

Chippy Old Windows

A few years ago, I was at my favorite downtown sidewalk sale with some of my favorite peeps.  I spied someone carrying some great old windows and asked about them.  Apparently there was a stash down in the oh-so-scary basement, for only $5 per window!  That alone was enough for me to get up my courage and head down there.  I was actually amazed they let shoppers in because it was so dark/scary/dangerous.  The steps were uneven.  There were plenty of places to hit your head or catch on rusty nails.  The spider factor was giving me the heebie jeebies, and the dead rat in the trap behind the windows was definitely not for the faint of heart.  I managed to be the first one down, so I snagged 2 of these beauties.  They were super chippy and dirty.  I had no idea what I would do with them, but they HAD TO BE MINE!!! 

They sat in the garage for the next couple of years, while my patient hubby moved them from place to place during projects and cleanings.  I finally decided to hang them on the wall with photos in them.  After a good cleaning, light sanding, and some white spray paint, they were much better, but still had that chippy quality that I heart.  I added scrapbook paper to the backs to make them stand out a little more, and repainted the hardware in a satin nickel.



I have never had a good way to display photos of my family, and I love the way these turned out.  They hang in my upstairs hall, one on either side.  I absolutely love them, and wish I'd had more hands to grab some more!  I have been to that sale many times since, and have never been invited into the basement of doom again.  Rats!


I am linking up to parties at:































6 comments:

sara @ applestone drive said...

Great job! I have an old window or two in my garage and this just may be what I need to do with them. :)

Visiting from the Not Just a Housewife party!

-sara @ applestonedrive.blogspot.com

Miriam@BeBookBound said...

I love old windows. I have been on the lookout for some, but no luck yet. I love what you did with yours :)

Donata @ DK's Craft Cafe said...

So simple and so good looking!
Thanks for sharing, I love your project :)

SwedishCorner-DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Beautiful!
... love old windows :)
Greetings from Australia♥

Ivy and Elephants said...

I just love how you re-purposed the old windows. They look amazing with the photos.Thanks for linking to the party. We love having you.
Big hugs,
Patti
p.s. I'm following you, now.

Kip Whitehead said...

Well, I can do with rusty nails for a $5 window. Your experience
there actually reminded me of those old video games where you had to go through
traps and obstacles to get to the boss! Pretty crazy, huh? LOL.

 

Good job on arranging the photos though - you got the spaces
right. With the satin nickel coating, this window turned out like a brand new
frame.