Thursday, February 9, 2012

Catching Up

A couple of years ago, I stumbled across a few large mirrors at my girlfriend's garage sale.  Her dad works construction and had salvaged them from a hotel remodel he was doing.  They were all priced around $7, and I couldn't pass them up.  Since then, I have been trying to find homes for them in my house.  They were all a brassy/bronze finish, but my love affair with spray paint can handle that! 

I have wanted something large above my fireplace, but didn't know exactly what.  I decided to try one of the mirrors, and while I think the size isn't quite right, it works for now.  I went with a satin nickel finish, which has a tiny bit of sparkle to it. 



Did I mention that sucker is HEAVY???  I wasn't exactly sure how I would hang it.  I ended up using a 1x2 and having my hubby cut it lengthwise on an angle to make my own one of these:





It worked surprisingly well, and I got the mirror up one night while my hubby was gone.  I am amazed at how much it brightens up the room.  It really reflects the light in my dark living room.  I do wish I had cut the board a little thicker so that it angled down a bit more, but I am still happy with it for $7!






This is an old picture of the room, which has since been painted.  I'll be posting on that soon!

I'm linking this to http://www.creationsbykara.com/2012/02/look-what-i-made-linky-party-2-8-2012.html

1 comment:

Anita said...

I like the mirror!