Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Pantry of Happiness

Good evening, girls!  I hope you are all enjoying the last moments of summer!  I can't believe it is already September, but I personally love it because it means it is my birthday...  :)
Actually, it was my birthday yesterday.  We spent it at my parents' house with my brother and his family.  What a happy day!  I am blessed.
 A few months ago, I began my spring cleaning and organizing and was inspired by Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick.  She had a pantry constructed of wire shelving that was very similar to mine.  She decided to give it a makeover and covered the wire shelves with wood.  She got cutie containers and really organized it.  You can see it here:


I loved the idea of covering the wire, but decided to take it a step further and try to make it look more like a built-in unit.  I painted the walls and wire a chocolate brown.  I used mdf for the shelves and painted that the same brown.  Lastly, I finished the front of the shelves with painted moulding.  I wanted the shelving to blend and disappear inside the pantry.  I really love the way it turned out!



The original wire shelving is still there, just covered.  The moulding in front covers it, though, and unless you really bend over and look, you don't see it at all. 



I got the canvas baskets to store similar items, one for pasta, one for Costco spices, one for sprinkles and cupcake wrappers, vitamins, lunchbox containers, and more.  It makes it really handy to pull the whole basket out and have everything together.  It also makes the pantry look much neater.  I don't have millions of tiny bottles spilling over everywhere anymore.


I copied Sarah's idea to use cute glass containers, and used vintage mason jars for my salt, baking soda, etc.




I was so pleased with the transformation and the tidy space.  I proclaimed to my husband that it would henceforth be referred to as the "pantry of happiness", and so far he has indulged me.  ;)  For the first few days, I wouldn't even put the doors back on.  I would sit on my bar stool and just stare at it, feeling really happy.  Weird, I know, but we're all a little quirky, right? 
Right? 

crickets...                                  chirp


No comments: