Sunday, August 29, 2010

You Painted Your Piano???

I'm not a professional piano player.  Just wanted to get that little fact out in the open.  I am self-taught, but I enjoy it.
I didn't spend a bunch of money on a fancy piano when I decided I'd like one.  I went to the local Salvation Army and picked up this little beauty for $60. 


You'll have to imagine it without all of the Christmas decorations.  You can see the finish is covered in this:




I had it tuned, and the man told me it once was a wonderful piano, but it had probably spent quite a bit of time in a barn and ruined the finish.  It has a great sound and is well-tuned, though.  I thought about trying to restore the finish, but I couldn't afford a professional, and I couldn't actually move the piano again.  It is very very heavy.  I couldn't do all of the sanding/stripping/refinishing in my living room, so I left it for a long time.  It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't beautiful either.  You can see that it made the dark room look even darker, with the dark red paint, dark leather, and dark wood.  After seeing all of the painted furniture on other blogs, I decided to give it a try.  I was a bit nervous, but I had high hopes of brightening my room.  I am planning on lightening the wall color later and painting my trim white, but that is for another day/month/year...  ;)

I went with a cottage white, and I love it! 

It has a lot of pretty carved detail to it, and I have been wanting to glaze it to make it pop out a little more, but after painting it, I am a chicken.  I really want to do it, but I've never glazed before and hate to ruin it. 




Isn't it pretty?  It really brightens up that corner of the room.  I don't regret painting it for a second! 



I'm linking this to Funky Junk Interiors SNS #45 at:

and The Shabby Nest Frugal Friday at:

and Frugalicious Friday at:

and Not Just a Housewife at:



4 comments:

Cassie said...

Good for you for being courageous and painting a piano! It looks great. Now, go ahead and glaze/stain it...you'll love it! And if you don't? Paint over it!

Chic Creations said...

Your piano is beautiful. I am getting ready to paint one. Now that I have seen your I am not afraid to do it. You did a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing.

Kori said...

It really looks good! You did a great job! I know the chicken feeling. Try it on something small first is my inexperienced advice. I haven't glazed anything, either, . . . yet.

Michelle Vandepol said...

love how it turned out :)