Monday, August 23, 2010

You Paid Him To Say That, Right?

I was so excited!  I had a 30% off coupon for Goodwill!  Off any one item!  Anything at all...  It was good for 1 month, and I spent that whole month waiting for just the right piece of furniture.  Seriously!  I was really pumped!  I didn't know they did coupons.  I had never taken a big finished piece and completely re-done it just for fun.  I waited and waited until the very end, then I had to find something or waste my coupon.  I went to my local store and found some odds and ends, but nothing that spoke to me in the furniture department.  Not that I hear voices in the furniture department of local thrift stores or anything.  What?  Anyway, I decided out of desperation to drive to the next closest location, which really isn't far.  Hello, new friend!  That store had so much more stuff, and it was cheaper!  Love...

The moment I saw it, I knew it was "the one".  I snatched the price tag off right away so no one else could get it. It was a big beautiful buffet!  Actually, it was a big ugly buffet with a horrible dark finish, dated hardware, these weird patterns carved into the wood, water marks, flaking, basically a train wreck.  In other words, perfect.  Oh, did I mention it was just $14.99?!!!!!  I had to call my husband to bring a truck to get it.  He doubted me when he saw it, but he loaded it up anyway.  It is solid oak and HEAVY.  As we pulled the truck off into the back parking lot to tie it down better, the most awesome thing happened.  A walking trail runs behind the store, and a man with his dog happened to be on it.  He stopped and looked at the buffet in the back of the truck, asks how much it was, and starts telling me what a really cool piece it is and how great it is!  Hello, total stranger who shares my vision.  My husband was rolling his eyes and was sure I put said stranger up to it.  It could not have been more perfect.  I laughed so hard I almost peed.  Can you say that in a blog?  Oh, well.  I almost did.

Being very impatient, and not knowing I would have this blog just a couple of weeks later, I do not have a before picture.  Visualize really dark stain, the kind that has the speckles of black paint all over it.  Lots of dirt.  A carved pattern on all of the doors and drawers that looks like an axe.  After much sanding, puttying, sanding, priming, painting, and new hardware, I am so excited!  My neighbors were so excited!  We are all excited!  And my husband shares the vision now!


I'm linking this to Frugalicious Friday at:
http://decormamma.blogspot.com/2010/08/frugalicious-friday-giveawayphotojewelr.html

2 comments:

Maria said...

Wow! This is great. I can imagine it before. I painted some similar wood an off-white. It does make such a difference. It is empowering and makes me feel like I don't need new furniture, just a few bucks, a gallon of paint, and some knobs. Way to go!

kcandcoley said...

Thank you! I am so excited about paint now! I keep searching for something to transform... lol