Thursday, August 26, 2010

What's for Breakfast?

The weather here has taken a 20 degree drop overnight.  It's beginning to have that fall feeling...  When the house isn't super hot, I really enjoy baking because I really really enjoy sampling!  So, for breakfast today, we are having a family favorite recipe that my next-door neighbor gave my mom when I was young.  It is quick and easy, and very yummy.



Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf

1 pkg lemon cake mix
1 pkg vanilla instant pudding
1/4 cup poppy seeds
4 eggs
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and mix well for about 2 minutes with an electric mixer.  Pour into 4 greased mini loaf pans, or 2 greased standard loaf pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes, depending on the size of your pans.

The fun part of this recipe is switching up the flavors.  I only use poppy seeds if I'm doing lemon or yellow cake mixes, but you can omit them and use any combination of cake/pudding flavors.  It's a great chocolate loaf.  In the fall, I like it with spice cake or carrot cake.  The possibilities are endless.  My mom makes the yellow cake mix poppy seed loaf in mini pans and gives them as Christmas gifts to the neighbors. 

1 comment:

Ali @ Honey and Maple Syrup said...

Yum! My mouth is seriously watering! I love lemon poppyseed anything and it looks so simple!