Sunday, August 29, 2010

My Kids' Bathroom Is Nicer Than Mine...

My brother works for a flooring company.  He gets deals on beautiful things.  I scoured the warehouse of his store and found a white travertine that I just had to have for my powder room.  I had been putting off installing it because I couldn't decide on an accent to go with it.  It sat in my garage until about Easter, when the vinyl floor in my kids' bathroom suddenly bubbled up.  We have been in our house for 12 years, and I assumed that the glue had popped on it.  It bothered me a little, but my husband couldn't stand it and wanted to replace the flooring.  I am trying to upgrade one room at a time and didn't want to put in more vinyl, so I shopped for tile.  I could find nothing that had any texture to it to keep the kids from slipping when it was wet.  I didn't love the colors that were readily available at Home Depot or Lowes.  I didn't have time to see my brother who is a couple of hours away to get something else, so I sacrificed my powder room tiles.  It made me a little sad, but then I got excited about shopping for more...  lol

I also wanted to do something different with the vanity.  We have the standard builder-grade light oak vanity.  I thought refinishing a cute dresser would be fun, but couldn't find one anywhere that was cheap and the right style.  In desperation, I decided to try to do something with our old one.


I liked the fun colors we already had in there, but figured that if we were putting fancy tile in and making over the vanity, that it wouldn't match anymore.









I had picked up the shower curtain and towels at Target, and taken some clearance canvases from the local craft store and done simple paint to tie in with the colors and pattern on the top of the shower curtain.  The glass marbles in the sink were ADORABLE, but had to be rinsed a lot to keep them free of toothpaste.  Ewww...

After my hubby tore out the old floor, he discovered that the toilet had been leaking for about a week, causing the subfloor to swell with water, hence the bubbling vinyl.  He had to tear it all out, bleach it, and paint it with that Kilz primer before putting down the cement board for the tile. 

I ended up doing a really dark glaze on the cabinet, almost like paint.  I distressed it a little, cut off the bottom portion where the toe-kick is, and installed legs to make it look taller and more like a custom piece.  We got a stock granite top for it and a pretty new faucet that we all love to play with.



Because it was taller, the kids needed a stepstool to reach.  My hubby made this one from scraps and matching legs.





I chose metallic accent tiles for the floor.



I was inspired by the mirrors on several blogs where they built frames on them.  I gave it a try, but I think the moulding is too narrow and plan on re-doing it.




I love the way the bathroom turned out!



I do think, however, that it is pretty grown-up looking for small children, and would like to make it a little cuter for them.  I don't want to change what I have, just add to it, and I'm thinking something like what Wendy from The Shabby Nest did here:




Check out all of her super cute pics!  I'd like to add polka dots to my shower curtain, maybe do a white bottom wall with wainscoting where the towels are to brighten it a little, and put a couple of monkeys in there somewhere.  I have a lamp that I could add some ric rac or trim to, also.  I think it would be fairly gender neutral. What do you think?

I'm linking this to Funky Junk Interiors SNS #45 at:

and Frugalicious Friday at:
http://decormamma.blogspot.com/2010/08/frugalicious-friday-giveawayphotojewelr.html




4 comments:

Meg said...

Oh, I love it! The tile is awesome and I love the dark wood. The stool is so cute! Your ideas to make it more kid-friendly are right on! With brown, you could add almost any color to make it kid-friendly. Bright blues, reds, etc. I just re-did my bathroom, too! We did a trim around the mirror and I LOVE it. Great job on yours!!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

You kid's bathroom looks fabulous! I love how all you did to the vanity to make it look custom (besides the stain and counter...obviously) was to cut off the toe kick and add legs...that's a trick I'll have to remember!

Thanks for the shout out!!...I do think a couple of monkeys would kid-friendly it right up! ;-)

Ellie said...

That is such a nice bathroom! I love the browns and the flooring (sorry you had to give it up!) and the step stool! I'll be on a hunt for a Goodwill step stool to personalize. Thanks for the inspiration!

Love the Decor! said...

Very nice makeover!!
Love the colors you use too
Thank you for stopping in on my sits day!!