Sunday, August 22, 2010

I wish I had one of these when I was a kid!

I hate the look of swingsets.  No offense, just saying. 

I swore my yard would always be a beautiful garden like in a magazine.  Then, along came kids. 
I tried to be strong.  I bought all of the landscaping magazines.  I shopped the nurseries. 

And then this happened:


And this:



Yeah, I know, right?  And that doesn't even count the huge Little Tikes cottage that's not pictured...

In my defense, I have to say the swingset was free, the 2 playhouses were from a neighbor's yard sale for $30 each, and the other stuff just sorta happened.

And then, my kids started to grow.  This set was great for my 3 year old, but not so exciting for my 6 year old and his friends.  I started to picture a yard without plastic all over it.  I don't really "do" plastic.  Nuff said. 

 I thought that a playhouse and swingset would be fun, and then I came across Ana White's Knock-Off Wood blog.   
That woman is a mind reader!  Seriously, within a week of starting my wishlist and planning, Ana posts these plans on her blog:

 

I was so excited!  In a non-landscapey, non-garden kind of way...

After recruiting my husband and father-in-law to do the heavy work for me, our playset now looks like this:

Drum roll, please!



Please ignore the dead grass.  The tools were out for a long time.  A very very long time...





I still need to build a kitchen for it, and it needs a few little things done to the outside, but I am so happy!  My very own playset!  Okay, my kids' very own playset!  I would have traded all of my Cabbage Patch Kids for a set like this when I was little...  We built it ourselves and got just what we wanted.  It was definitely cheaper than buying a Rainbow set, and all in all not a horribly expense.  The rubber tiles for the surface were the most expensive, but I love love love them for safety and cleaning, and hopefully can sell them when we are done with them.  I heart Craigslist...

I am linking this to the Funky Junk Interiors Party at
http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/2010/08/sns-44-brings-you-your-most-favorite.html

7 comments:

Maria said...

That is a huge under-taking. It turned out great. I am sure it will be around for a long time. I bet it is nice to have a fun, yet classic-looking playset.

kcandcoley said...

It really is great for the kids. I can see them from the kitchen window, too, which makes me happy!

Yvette said...

Holy cow! I'm jealous and secretly hating you right now! You rock.

Beth Saneholtz said...

What did you use for the flooring!? It looks awesome!

kcandcoley said...

Beth, I used those peel and stick floor tiles that look like wood. It was super easy and didn't involve much trimming. It is holding up great!

Anonymous said...

What did you use under the playset? The black stuff all on the ground? LOVE the look of the WHOLE thing. I'm trying to find this playset on Ana Whites blog so I can get the whole breakdown of what I need. LOVE IT!!!

kcandcoley said...

Here is a link for Ana White's blog. I tweaked her plans to make it what I wanted. http://ana-white.com/2010/05/furnture-plans-playhouse-deck.html

The rubber surfacing under the playset is something like this: http://www.surfaceamerica.com/index.php/products/details/ultratile/ My friend's neighbor sells and installs it in city playgrounds and gave me a deal on it. Mine is actually a few inches thick, but this gives you an idea. Thanks so much for checking out my blog!!!